Fei Tian Academy of the Arts is authorized under U.S. Federal law to enroll eligible middle and high school students in the F-1 nonimmigrant visa classification. This section outlines important information on procedures for enrolling at Fei Tian as an F-1 international student.
Understanding the F-1 regulations and the responsibilities that come with entering the United States in F-1 visa status can be a challenge for new students. The Office of International Services is a resource for international students to seek specific guidance on matters related to their F-1 status, including visas, passports, I-20s, and more.
APPLYING FOR AN F-1 STUDENT VISA
Generally, nonimmigrant students who wish to enter the United States to study must first obtain an F-1 visa. Refer to the website travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html for information on how to apply for a student visa.
Interviews are generally required for F-1 visa applicants, to which students should bring:
- Information about FTAA (this Catalog is sufficient)
- The signed Form I-20 from FTAA
- Offer of admission to FTAA
- Receipt showing that the SEVIS I-901 fee has been paid
- Passport, valid for at least six months after the date of entry into the United States
- Confirmation showing that the DS-160 online visa application form has been submitted, and required passport-style photographs
- Transcripts and diplomas from previous schools
- Evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses for at least one year of study
Students from visa-exempt countries need not apply for visas at their local U.S. consulates and should instead bring the relevant documents to the U.S. port of entry and apply for F-1 status upon entering the United States.
MAINTAINING F-1 STATUS IN THE UNITED STATES
Upon entering the United States in F-1 status, international students are responsible for maintaining their status. This means that all F-1 students must do the following, among other requirements:
- Report to the Office of International Services within 30 days of the program start date listed on the Form I-20.
- Register for full-time studies for all required semesters. Students must request and receive authorization from the Office of International Services prior to dropping below full-time studies.
- Maintain good standing at school, which incudes making normal progress towards completing your program.
- Report changes to your address or name to the Office of International Services within 10 days of any change.
- Maintain a valid, unexpired passport.
- Keep important documents, such as the Form I-20 and your passport with F-1 visa, safe and valid.